Sunday, April 15, 2007

Mediterranean Bread Salad

Ten years ago, Mediterranean Bread Salad was sure to turn up at every potluck dinner. A year or two later it vanished, maybe because it's better in a bowl than on a plate.

Sometimes I add a little feta cheese and maybe some black olives, and my personal preference is for sweet onion rather than red.

Ingredients:
3 cups leftover wheat or rye bread
1-1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
1 cup chopped cucumber
1/2 cup chopped red onion
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons water (optional as needed)
2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
Instructions:
Cut bread into bite-sized cubes, spread on baking sheet, and dry in oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool. (I've been known to skip this step.)

Combine liquids and seasonings in large bowl and whisk to blend. Add the chopped vegetables and mix thoroughly. Add bread cubes last and toss until well mixed.

Chill several hours or overnight, mixing several times. Stir before serving. (Okay, I admit it, I do not get up in the middle of the night to mix my salad. Sue me.)

127 calories/serving (1 veg, 1 fat, 1 bread)

From Lean and Luscious and Meatless by Bobbie Hinman and Millie Snyder (c. 1992, Prima Publishing, Rocklin, CA), p. 106.